The Victorian School for Deaf Children was the new name given in 1949 to the former Victorian Deaf and Dumb Institution. By the 1970s the School had 180 pupils of which 40 were in residence. As the School closed on weekends, any children not able to go home were placed at two family group homes established in the 1970s by the School in Box Hill.
The Victorian School for Deaf Children was the new name given in 1949 to the former Victorian Deaf and Dumb Institution.
Although state wards had been placed at the school since the late 1940s, the School was not classified as a Category 2 Children's Home until 1972. In the 1970s the School established two family group homes for deaf children in Box Hill.
In 1995, it became the Victorian College for the Deaf.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf; The history of the Victorian College for the Deaf, Victorian College for the Deaf, http://www.vcd.vic.edu.au/history-1860-1910/.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 5 November 2010, Last modified: 30 July 2018