The Princess Elizabeth Kindergarten for the Deaf, in Elgar Road Burwood, opened in 1950. It was the first residential and daily pre-school centre for deaf children in Australia. From 1973, the Kindergarten provided weekend residential care for 'boarders' in family group homes.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 5 November 2010, Last modified: 6 November 2018