Blamey House, located at 5 Willsmere Road, Kew, formerly Harelands, run by Legacy, provided accommodation for boys aged 13 years and older, who were children of deceased service personnel. It closed in 1980.
During the 1960s and 1970s the requirement for accommodation in Legacy houses decreased, which meant that by 1977 only two houses remained in existence.
Holmbush, 1267 Burke Road, Kew, renamed Blamey House in 1956, when the Beaumaris property was sold and re-located to Kew, closed in 1977. Harelands in Willsmere Road, Kew was renamed Blamey House in the same year.
Stanhope, 1245 Burke Road Kew, closed in 1982.
c. 1952 - 1977 Harelands
1977 - 1980 Blamey House
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Rosemary Francis
Created: 23 May 2013, Last modified: 4 August 2014