Allandale Cottage was established in 1962 by the Methodist Homes for Children in Sussex Street, Victoria Park. Allandale began as a boys' cottage but the policy changed to admit girls and keep sibling groups together in a home-like setting. Allandale Cottage closed around 1985.
Allandale Cottage, although situated close to Mofflyn Child and Family Care Services, was run as a separate entity. It is not clear exactly when Allandale Cottage closed, but it is likely to have been by 1985 as most of the campus cottages had closed by then.
Sources used to compile this entry: The 'Homes' Herald, 1974 [Methodist Homes for Children] [Document], Date: December 1974; Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, https://signposts.communities.wa.gov.au//pdf/pdf.aspx; Mofflyn, 'Submission No. 160 Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care: Submissions', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, August 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist. p.3.; State Records Office of Western Australia, Wards - Director's Approval to Transfer from one Institution to Another and Amend Training, Reference Code AU WA S1099- cons2607 A0191 V4 (p.101, 121, 160, 318) - page numbers refer to PDF page number in digital file held by the Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) in 2017.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 22 November 2018