Cooinda, in Mt Lawley, was established in 1966 by Methodist Homes for Children at the request of the Department of Native Welfare to accommodate Aboriginal schoolgirls attending high school in Perth. After 1977 it was run by the agencies of the Uniting Church and in 1987 it was transferred to the Department for Community Services. Cooinda remained a departmental facility for Aboriginal student accommodation in 2014.
In government records, Cooinda is named and spelled various ways including Cooindra, Coowinda and Coowindra.
Sources used to compile this entry: The 'Homes' Herald, 1974 [Methodist Homes for Children] [Document], Date: December 1974; Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, https://signposts.communities.wa.gov.au//pdf/pdf.aspx; Email from Jo Clarkson, Department for Child Protection and Family Support 2014-07-16, WE00063 DCPFS re Cooinda.pdf; State Records Office of Western Australia, Wards - Director's Approval to Transfer from one Institution to Another and Amend Training, Reference Code AU WA S1099- cons2607 A0191 V4 (p.74, 271, 277, 284) - page numbers refer to PDF page number in digital file held by the Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) in 2017.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 8 January 2019