Seaforth Toddlers' Home, Gosnells, was established in 1945 by the Salvation Army for boys aged 2 to 6 years. It was located in the former Seaforth Salvation Army Girls' Home, on the same site as the Seaforth Boys' Home and Seaforth Salvation Army Boys' Reformatory. It had closed by April 1949 and became the Eventide Home, an aged care facility.
Seaforth Toddlers' Home, Gosnells, was established in 1945 by the Salvation Army. On 26 June 1945, a couple were appointed to manage the Toddlers' Home and in July and August of that year, the former Seaforth Salvation Army Girls' Home was renovated to accommodate boys aged 2 to 6 years. It was officially opened by Commissioner WR Dalziel, Territorial Commander, on 1 September 1945. The Toddlers' Home was part of the Seaforth estate - located on the same site as the Seaforth Boys' Home and Seaforth Salvation Army Boys' Reformatory.
In 1946, there were 22 admissions to the Home. The annual report of the Child Welfare Department in 1946 described the Toddlers' Home as a place that was licensed to accommodate children under six years of age who were 'not on subsidy'. This may mean that all children were 'private children', admitted by family rather than through the government system.
Seaforth Toddlers' Home closed on 31 November 1946 and became the Eventide Home, an aged care facility.
Sources used to compile this entry: ; Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'pp.501-502', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, https://signposts.communities.wa.gov.au//pdf/pdf.aspx; Seaforth History [Document], Date: 1920s - 1950s; Annual Report of the Child Welfare Department for the Year Ended 30th June, 1947, p. 21.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 27 April 2018