The Sisters of St John of God are a Catholic religious congregation. From 1895, the Sisters have been involved in running schools, hospitals and children's homes in Western Australia.
The Sisters of St John of God first arrived in Perth in 1895, at the request of Bishop Matthew Gibney. They set up a convent and hospital in Adelaide Terrace, Perth. In later years, the Sisters of St John of God were active in the Kimberleys. The Sisters ran schools at the Beagle Bay Mission (1907-1970s), Lombadina Mission (?1917-1970s) and the Wirrumanu (Balgo Hills) Mission (1956-1962). They also ran the Holy Child Orphanage at Broome (1941-1961) and the Yaandina Family Centre at Roebourne (1974-1995?). The Sisters worked at Bidyadanga (1957-1960?) and established and ran St John of God hospitals in Subiaco, Bunbury, Geraldton and Northam.
Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'Beagle Bay Mission; Yaandina Family Centre', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://signposts.cpfs.wa.gov.au/pdf/pdf.aspx; State Solicitor's Office of Western Australia, 'pp.14-15, 60, 77, 80', Guide to Institutions Attended by Aboriginal People in Western Australia, Government of Western Australia, 2005, http://web.archive.org/web/20140126131607/http://www.dpc.wa.gov.au/lantu/MediaPublications/Documents/Guide-to-Institutions-attended-by-Aboriginal-people-in-WA-2005.pdf; Western Australia. Department for Community Development, 'pp.61-62', ROADS. An index of locations and access to adoption records., with Adoption Service, Department for Community Development, Dept. For Community Development, 2005, https://web.archive.org/web/20110327071024/http://www.dcp.wa.gov.au/FosteringandAdoption/Documents/ROADS2006.pdf.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 16 November 2021