Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Western Australia - Event
Apology to Aboriginal Families by the Parliament of Western Australia (28 May 1997)
- 28 May 1997
- 28 May 1997
On 28 May 1997, the Parliament of Western Australia passed a motion to apologise to Aboriginal families in Western Australia 'for the past policies under which Aboriginal children were removed' from them and expressed 'deep regret at the hurt and distress that this caused.'
Many members of Parliament spoke in support of this motion.
- RightsED: Bringing them home, Australian Human Rights Commission, 2010, https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/education/publications/rightsed-bringing-them-home-2010. Details
- Bringing Them Home: The 'Stolen Children' Report (1997), Australian Human Rights Commission, 2011, https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-social-justice/publications/bringing-them-home. Details
- Commonwealth of Australia, Bringing them Home Report (1997), Australian Human Rights Commission, https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-social-justice/publications/bringing-them-home. Details
- Department for Community Development, State of Western Australia, 'Submission No. 55 Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care: Submissions', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, July 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist. Details
- Legislative Assembly, Parliament of Western Australia, 'Aborigines - Family Separation', in Parliament of Western Australia website, Parliament of Western Australia, 28 May 1997, https://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Hansard/hansard1870to1995.nsf/83cc4ce93b5d4e0b48257b33001cfef6/3B51558D54EA683648258435001EEBCD/$File/19970528_Assembly.pdf. Details