The Priory was a hostel for students going to high school in Albany. The Priory was purchased by the Education Department of Western Australia in 1955. It was possibly run by the Anglican Diocese of Bunbury on behalf of the Education Department from 1957. From around 1961 to 1988 it was under the control of the Country High School Hostels Authority.
Students from Albany High School boarded at The Priory Hostel in Mount Clarence, Albany.
Sources used to compile this entry: City of Albany, Municipal Heritage Inventory - Inner Albany Areas A-M, Albany, 2000, https://www.albany.wa.gov.au/documents/92/municipal-heritage-inventory-inner-albany-areas-a-m. 55-59 Burt Street/ Mt Clarence/House – The Priorty (sic).; 'Hostel. Reserve 27192 Albany Lot 1150, Town of Albany. Priory House Hostel. Crown Grant in Trust to Country High School Hostels Authority (cancelled 9/12/88). Disposal of site under AMT. Minister of Education. (Includes Photograph).', State Records Office of Western Australia, AU WA S211- cons4698 1961/1496v1, accessed via State Records Office of WA website on 27 August 2015.. Albany High School - hostel - purchase of "The Priory" (18 Oct 1955 - 29 Aug 1963), State Records Office of Western Australia, AU WA S82- cons1562 1955/2768, accessed via State Records Office of WA website on 27 August 2015. State Records Office of Western Australia, Wards - Director's Approval to Transfer from one Institution to Another and Amend Training, Reference Code AU WA S1099- cons2607 A0191 V4 (p.376) - page numbers refer to PDF page number in digital file held by the Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) in 2017.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 6 March 2013, Last modified: 19 December 2018