Dellahale House was established in 1964 to replace the Protestant Children's Home in Geraldton. It provided residential accommodation for girls attending high school in Geraldton. Dellahale House was managed by Geraldton Protestant Children's Homes Inc on behalf of the Country High School Hostels Authority. In 1981, the manager of John Frewer House was appointed to manage both Dellahale and John Frewer House. John Frewer House (boys) and and Dellahale House (girls) were separated by the grounds of Geraldton Senior High School. The girls' college closed as a residential facility in 2001, reopening in 2002 as the coeducational Geraldton Residential College on the Dellahale site.
It was common for the Country High School Hostels Authority hostels to have an annual 'jamboree' and this was held at Geraldton in 1988.
At a public hearing during the Special Inquiry into St Andrew's Hostel, Katanning, the Manager testified about the behaviour of a staff member in 1993-94 and the way the hostel authorities responded to that type of behaviour.
Sources used to compile this entry: Geraldton Residential College, Information and Code of Conduct Book 2013, Country High School Hostels Authority, 2012, http://web.archive.org/web/20140126231320/http://www.geraldtonresidential.com.au/wp-content/uploads/GeraldtonResidentialCollegeHandbook.pdf. p.4.; Public Sector Commission, Western Australia, 'Inquiry - St Andrew's Hostel - Public Hearing Transcript – 19 March 2012 pp.1043-1046; 13 April 2012 p.1763', Transcripts [St Andrew's Hostel Inquiry], Government of Western Australia, 19 September 2012, http://www.publicsector.wa.gov.au/public-administration/sector-performance-and-oversight/reviews-investigations-and-special-inquiries/special-inquiries/st-andrews-hostel-inquiry/transcripts.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 12 March 2013, Last modified: 12 November 2018