The St John of God Hospital (SJOGH) was opened by the Sisters of St John of God in the Perth suburb of Subiaco on 19 April 1898. It has been one of the largest hospitals in Western Australia. Many children in Catholic out of home care were treated at SJOGH Subiaco. Babies were born, fostered and adopted from SJOGH Subiaco.
Sources used to compile this entry: St John of God Health Care Governance, St John of God Health Care, 2010, https://www.sjog.org.au/about-us/governance-and-stewardship; Brown, Phyl, 'St John of God hospitals', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009, p. 840; Western Australia. Department for Community Development, 'Saint John of God Hospital Subiaco Records p.62', ROADS. An index of locations and access to adoption records., with Adoption Service, Department for Community Development, Dept. For Community Development, 2005, https://web.archive.org/web/20110327071024/http://www.dcp.wa.gov.au/FosteringandAdoption/Documents/ROADS2006.pdf.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 2 May 2013, Last modified: 15 April 2014