In December 1840 it was reported in the Australasian Chronicle that a dinner had been held for the children at the Orphan School, funded by a local benefactor. The children ate roast beef, mutton, vegetables, and plum pudding. The benefactor requested that the dinner be an annual event for the children, held at her expense.
In November 1841 the Roman Catholic Orphan School was struck by lightning during a large storm, which resulted in the deaths of three children at the Home, and many others being knocked to the ground but not receiving significant injuries. The Home itself was also damaged during the storm.
In 1844, following the opening of the Roman Catholic Orphan School at Parramatta, the school at Waverley closed, and all 114 children in residence were transferred to the Parramatta Home.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
10 February 2023
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/ENT0185
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License