An article in Rockhampton's Morning Bulletin on 2 July 1938 stated that the Bethesda Mothers' Hospital would operate in two distinct areas of work, both to be managed by the Salvation Army.
One section would function as a private maternity hospital where, for a small fee, married women would be cared for by a qualified Salvation Army nurse.
The other section would operate as a girls' home. The article went on to state that:
'destitute, wronged, and neglected girls are cared for and little unwanted babes are given a home, until such time as adoption can be arranged.
There will be a new nursery with a large veranda on three sides, with miniature dining room, furniture for the toddlers, new bathrooms, and locker rooms. Individual lockers and wardrobes are provided for, and fly-proof rooms for the preparation of the babies' food.'
30 April 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00157
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License