Initially, the Female Refuge was managed by a ladies' committee and a committee comprising lay men and ministers from various Protestant denominations.
The Ballarat Female Refuge's first location was in Grant Street, Ballarat. In 1885, it moved to new premises at 183 Scott Parade.
In 1921, the Ballarat Town and City Mission took over the management of the Ballarat Female Refuge.
At this time, a new institution for single mothers and their babies was established by the Mission, on the site of the original Refuge at 183 Scott Parade. This institution was known as the Ballarat Town and City Mission Rescue and Children's Home. The Alexandra Babies' Home (built in 1909) was situated on the same complex, at 187 Scott Parade.
27 July 2015
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000240
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License