1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Organisation McOwan Boys' Training Farm (c. 1953 - ?)
- c. 1953
- Farm School, Home, Presbyterian and Protestant
The McOwan Boys' Training Farm, run by the Presbyterian Church, was established at Yarra Junction in around 1953. The Farm was for boys between the ages of 14 and 18.
The McOwan Boys' Training Farm, run by the Presbyterian Church, was situated in Yarra Junction. The Farm was for boys between the ages of 14 and 18. The property was donated to the Church in 1948 by the late Francis McOwan. The farm had frontages to the Little Yarra River and the Powelltown Road. In 1953, the appointment of the farm's superintendent-manager, Mr L. McLean of Drouin, was announced in the Argus newspaper. The article also stated that the training farm was to be run on the 'cottage system'.
- The McOwan Boys' Training Farm is situated at Yarra Junction. Location: Yarra Junction
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Farm given to church', The Argus, 13 November 1948, p. 20; 'Church to run boys' farm', The Argus, 26 September 1953, p. 4.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 6 October 2010, Last modified: 17 April 2013