Archives



Royal Park Industrial School

The Royal Park Industrial School opened in Parkville in 1875. It accommodated girls until around 1880 when the girls were transferred to the Industrial School at Geelong, and boys from Sunbury’s Industrial School came to Royal Park. At about this time the Industrial School became known as the Royal Park Depot. The Royal Park Industrial…

Miralee Reception Centre

Miralee Reception Centre was established in 1963 as the ‘Mildura Reception Centre’, and renamed ‘Miralee’ in 1967. Miralee accommodated approximately 10 to 12 children up to 14 years of age. In 1980 the Department built a new ‘Miralee’ Reception Centre. The Mildura Reception Centre was opened in July 1963. In 1967 the centre was named…

Bendigo Reception Centre

Bendigo Reception Centre was established by the state government in 1965. Unlike other reception centres such as Allambie and Baltara, the Bendigo Reception Centre was managed by a family. The demand for Bendigo Reception Centre was lower than anticipated, and it was closed in February 1966.

Ballarat Reception Centre

The Ballarat Reception Centre was opened by the Victorian Government in 1961. It accommodated 15 to 18 children aged up to 14 years who were waiting for placement, or whose placement had not worked out. The Reception Centre was renamed ‘Warrawee’ in 1964. It closed in around 1982. Warrawee was situated at 28 Victoria Street,…

Baltara Reception Centre

Baltara Reception Centre was established by the Victorian Government in 1968. It was a separate entity from Turana, which was located on the same campus. Baltara was a specialised reception facility for boys aged 10 to 15 as well as a remand centre for boys in the same age group. Baltara comprised a number of…

St Joseph’s Receiving Home

St Joseph’s Receiving Home, Carlton, was established by Margaret Goldspink in 1902. In 1905 the Receiving Home moved to Grattan Street, Carlton, when it came under the management of the Sisters of St Joseph. It offered shelter to many thousands of pregnant women and also provided short term residential care to children. The Receiving Home…

Winlaton

Winlaton, in Nunawading, was established in 1956 as the main state-run institution for adolescent girls. Previously (from 1951 to 1953) the building was a Home, also called Winlaton, run by the Mission of St James and St John. Winlaton Juvenile School received its first placements in 1956. Many female juvenile offenders were committed to Winlaton…

Allambie Reception Centre

The Allambie Reception Centre opened in Burwood in 1961, on the former site of Kildonan Children’s Home. It was the Victorian Government’s main reception centre for children. Allambie could accommodate up to 90 children including (from 1964) babies and toddlers and by the 1970s its capacity had grown to 228 children. Allambie closed in 1990….

Bradshaw House

Bradshaw House was the new name given to the Receiving Home, Alice Springs in 1966. It was run by the government as a short term care facility for children placed in the care of the Director of Welfare. Many children, however, remained in the institution for long periods. The average number of children resident in…

Dundas House

Dundas House was opened in Darwin by the government in 1961 as a Receiving Home for girls up to the age of 12 and school aged boys who required temporary accommodation. Children accommodated at the Home for more than one week were enrolled in schools in the Darwin area. It accommodated up to 12 children…