Archives



Glendel Children’s Home

Glendel Children’s Home, run by the Christian Brethren, became an approved children’s Home in 1979. It took up to 10 children, some or all of whom were wards of state. The Home seems to have closed in the early 1990s. Glendel Children’s Home was originally in West Barrack Street, Deloraine. It was run and owned…

Hope Cottage

Hope Cottage opened in 1887. It was a rescue home and lying-in home for single mothers giving birth to their first babies. It was established by Grace Soltau, the first president of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. In 1892, management was handed over to the Church of England. Hope Cottage closed in 1896. The work…

Hobart Benevolent Society

The Hobart Benevolent Society was originally formed in 1832 but has run continuously since 1859. It was, and remains, a Protestant organisation that assisted people in poverty. Between 1880 and 1881, it managed the boarding out system. In 2014, it is managed by Uniting Care. The Hobart Benevolent Society based its approach to charity on…

Hobart City Mission

The Hobart City Mission was founded in 1852. Its brief was to spread the gospel to non-church goers in inner city working class communities. The Hobart City Mission is still active. Like the London City Mission, Hobart City Missioners were Protestant but non-denominational. They saw working class communities as a mission field because they seemed…

Churches of Christ in Tasmania

The Churches of Christ are a network of charismatic Protestant churches that provide mutual support while accepting the differences between them. The first Tasmanian Church opened in 1865. The Church became known as the Disciples of Christ in 1885 and the Churches of Christ in 1915. The Churches of Christ in Tasmania ran Bethany Boys’…

Anchorage Home

The Anchorage Home, run by the Ladies Christian Association, opened in 1889. It was initially in Hobart. Later it moved to New Town. The Home was for young single mothers having their first baby. It closed in 1920. The Anchorage Home opened on 17 September 1889 in Carr Street, off Argyle Street. The house had…

St Joseph’s Child Care Centre

St Joseph’s Child Care Centre replaced St Joseph’s Orphanage (Aikenhead House), opening on 22 February 1970. It was located in Taroona and run by the Sisters of Charity. The Centre provided cottage accommodation for 30 children in three cottages, and also supervised the Family Group Homes of Villa Maria, Loreto, Carinya, and later, Bimbadeen. In…

St Joseph’s Waterton Hall

St Joseph’s Waterton Hall, run by the Sisters of St Joseph’s, opened in 1951. It was a boarding school in Rowella for girls aged between 6 and 12. In 1952, the School became an approved institution for British child migrants but it never received any. It appears to have closed in the late 1960s or…

Cape Barren Island Reserve

Cape Barren Island Reserve was created in 1881 for the use of the descendants of Aboriginal women and European sealers living in the Furneaux Islands of Bass Strait. From the late 1920s, many Aboriginal children were removed from their parents on Cape Barren Island. It ceased to be a reserve in 1951. Following the death…

Carinya Family Group Home

Carinya Family Group Home, run by the Sisters of Charity, opened in Rosny in 1969. It was established to support the Sisters of Charity’s move away from institiutional care to cottage care. The Home was managed by St Joseph’s Orphanage, and later St Joseph’s Child Care Centre. It provided cottage accommodation to seven children. The…