Elim Maternity Hospital, run by the Salvation Army, opened in West Hobart in 1897. It was a rescue Home for young women, including teenagers, and a maternity hospital for single mothers. Many adoptions took place from Elim. It closed in about 1973. Elim occupied a two storey Victorian weatherboard building in Lansdowne Crescent, West Hobart….
Tower House Young Women’s Hostel, run by the Salvation Army, opened in Launceston in 1943. It provided accommodation for young working women. The Hostel closed in 1978. Tower House opened officially on 17 July 1943. Its first Matron was the former Matron of Rock Lynn House. It had accommodation for 30 young women with employment….
Rock Lynn House, run by the Salvation Army, opened in 1895. Originally, it was a ‘rescue home’ for women and their babies, located in Charles Street, Launceston. By mid 1896, the rescue home had moved to larger premises in William Street, Launceston. In 1900, the home moved to ‘Rock Lynn’, a home on the Cataract…
Maylands Girls Unit, run by the Salvation Army, was established after the closure of the Maylands Girls Home in 1981. It was in New Town. The Unit was specifically for the accommodation of teenage girls. It closed in 1998. In the 1980s, Maylands provided accommodation under the Domestic Service Assistance Scheme. It was for children…
The Launceston Girls’ Industrial School, which was managed by a Board of Governors and Ladies Committee, opened in 1877. It trained girls up to the age of 16 in domestic and laundry work. In 1921, it became the Launceston Girls’ Home. The Launceston Girls’ Industrial School was established under the auspices of the 1867 Industrial…
The Sisters of Charity of Australia was established in Parramatta on 31 December 1838. The Sisters came from Ireland at the request of the Archbishop of Sydney to care for the convicts at the Female Factory in Parramatta and the children at the Female Orphan School. In 1847, some of the Sisters moved to Tasmania…
Centacare replaced the Catholic Family Welfare Bureau in 1977. In 2013, it continued to assist families and to offer adoption services. It ran the Annie Kenney Young Women’s Refuge. In 2015 Centacare Tasmania changed its name to CatholicCare Tasmania. Part VI of the Adoption of Children Act 1988 made information on adoptions arranged by the…
Roland Boys’ Home, run by the Anglican Church, opened in Sheffield in 1951. It accommodated orphans and state wards from the age of six. The Home closed in the early 1990s. Roland Boys’ Home opened officially on 9 June 1951 at 69 High Street, Sheffield opposite the park and 200 yards from the state school…
Bethany Boys’ Home, run by the Churches of Christ, opened in Dover in 1947 and moved to Lindisfarne in 1956. Up to 18 boys, mostly wards of state aged between 2 and 18, lived there. From 1971 onwards, the Home also accepted girls. It closed in 1978. The gift of a house and land at…
Boys’ Town opened in Glenorchy in 1945. It was run by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart and, after 1946, by the Salesians of Don Bosco, who opened a school on the premises. Boys’ Town was for boys aged between five and 16 years. Thirty-nine British child migrants lived there between 1952 and 1956 when…