Archives



Magdalen Home

The Magdalen Home, run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, was established in 1893. It was a rescue home for girls and young women, aged between 12 and 39 years. Later it became an approved children’s home. The Magdalen Home closed in 1974. A bequest from WJ Dunne, a former Vicar-General, paid for the…

Maylands Salvation Army Home for Girls

Maylands Salvation Army Home for Girls in New Town was formerly the Hobart Girls’ Industrial School. The Trustees of the School handed it over to the Salvation Army on 31 January 1945. The Home accepted girls aged between two and 16 and boys between two and five. About half were wards of state. Maylands closed…

Barrington Boys’ Home

Barrington Boys’ Home, run by the Salvation Army, opened in New Town in 1946. Some of the boys had committed an offence. The rest were either wards of state or admitted by their relatives. The Home closed in 1981. Barrington Boys’ Home was in New Town. When it opened, it had a capacity for 40…

Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys

The Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys opened in Glenara in 1921. Before 1946, most of the boys were state wards. After that, the Home also admitted them by private arrangement. In 1971, the name changed to Glenara Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys. It became Glenara Children’s Home in 1973. The Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys…

Kennerley Boys’ Home

Kennerley Boys’ Home opened in West Hobart in 1869. As an industrial school, it provided accommodation and training for boys considered to be neglected. In 1969, it became Kennerley Children’s Home. On 20 March 1876, the wealthy businessman, philanthropist, and Premier, Alfred Kennerley (1810-97), issued a Deed of Gift to enable ‘The Boys’ Home’, established…

Clarendon Children’s Home

Clarendon Children’s Home, run by the Anglican Church, opened in 1922 in New Town, on the same site as the Home of Mercy (the two Homes were jointly run by the Church of England). Clarendon Children’s Home accommodated children over the age of three (babies and younger children were at the Home of Mercy). In…

St Joseph’s Orphanage

St Joseph’s Orphanage, run by the Sisters of Charity, opened in central Hobart in 1879. It was for Catholic girls who could be placed there by relatives for a fee, or by the Government. In 1958, the Sisters renamed it Aikenhead House. It began accepting young boys in 1963. The Listen to the Children inquiry…

Anglican Diocese of Adelaide

The Anglican Diocese of Adelaide dates back to 1847. Initially, the diocese included Western Australia and South Australia. Its first bishop was Augustus Short (1847 to 1882). In 1855, Short created a system of diocesan self-government through a synod. The Diocese of Adelaide, together with the Diocese of Willochra, to the north and west, and…

Mount Gambier Aborigines’ Home

The Mount Gambier Aborigines’ Home was opened in Mount Gambier in 1865 by missionary Mrs Christina Smith. The establishment of the Home was assisted by the Bishop of Adelaide and funded by charitable donations. Up to 16 Aboriginal children lived and were taught at the Home at one time. Due to declining donations the Mount…

McAuley Lodge

McAuley Lodge was established by the Catholic Church in 1990 in Elizabeth. It provided supported accommodation for young women who were preparing to live independently. McAuley Lodge closed in 1994.