Archives



Fullarton Children’s Home

The Fullarton Children’s Home was the new name given to the Salvation Army Girls’ Home in 1969 when it began to also accommodate younger boys. It was run by the Salvation Army but was licensed and regularly inspected by the government. In 1972 younger boys from the Salvation Army Boys’ Home, Kent Town, were sent…

Girls’ Probationary School

The Girls’ Probationary School opened in 1901 in Woodville. It was run by the Salvation Army under the control of the government as an institution for girls who were State children considered to have behavioural problems. The School moved suburbs several times until 1912 when it was finally relocated to Fullarton. A number of Aboriginal…

Kate Cocks Memorial Adoption Agency

The Kate Cocks Memorial Adoption Agency was established in 1967 and operated from the Methodist run, Kate Cocks Babies Home. This private adoption agency arranged the adoption of many babies born to mothers in the Home and children placed at the Home. The Agency closed in 1978. The Kate Cocks Memorial Adoption Agency was established…

Methodist Home for Babies and Unmarried Mothers

The Methodist Home for Babies and Unmarried Mothers opened in 1937 at Brighton. Run by the Methodist Church, it accommodated single girls who were pregnant or had given birth to their first child. It also took in other children in need of shelter. Pregnant women gave birth at the Queens’ Home and later the Queen…

St Joseph’s Junior Boys’ Home

St Joseph’s Junior Boys Home run by the Sisters of St Joseph was the new name for St Joseph’s Orphanage at Largs Bay in the 1960s. The name change acknowledged that the Home accommodated only boys, from 3 to 12 years. In 1969, girls were again accommodated and the name became to St Joseph’s Children’s…

St Mary’s Home for Children

St Mary’s Home for Children was the new name given to St Mary’s Mission of Hope in Halifax Street, Adelaide, in 1953. The Home’s new name acknowledged that St Mary’s had returned to caring for young children only. It was run by an independent management committee that reported to the Anglican Diocese of Adelaide until…

The Orphan Home

The Orphan Home was established in Stepney in 1860 by a group of members of the Church of England. Run by an independent management committee that reported to the Diocese of Adelaide, the Orphan Home was for girls of primary school age. In 1861 it moved to Carrington Street, Adelaide and then in 1908 to…

Church of England Hostel for Inland Children

The Church of England Hostel for Inland Children was opened by Father Percy Smith in a private house at Kensington Park in 1945. Operated by the Church of England as a training home for Aboriginal boys, it initially accommodated six boys from Alice Springs aged between 9 and 12 years. They attended the Marryatville Primary…

Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Carrieton

The Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Carrieton, provided accommodation for Aboriginal children evacuated from the Northern Territory’s Garden Point Mission, Melville Island, during World War II. The evacuees were funded by the government and cared for by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. In 1944, 34 girls and 7…

Adelaide Central Mission

Adelaide Central Mission came into being in 1977, with the establishment of the Uniting Church in Australia. Previously, it was known as the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission. In 2003, its name changed to UnitingCare Wesley Adelaide Inc, when Adelaide Central Mission joined a Partnership in Mission along with Port Adelaide Central Mission, UnitingCare Port Pirie…