UnitingCare Wesley Adelaide came into being in 2003. It was previously called Adelaide Central Mission. In 2012, there was another name change, to Uniting Communities.
The Morialta Protestant Children’s Home Board of Management ran the Morialta Protestant Children’s Home from 1924 until 1974. The board included representatives from a number of religious and philanthropic organisations including the Independent Order of Oddfellows (IOOF), the Congregational Union, Churches of Christ, the SA Protestant Federation, the Baptist Union and the Presbyterian Church.
Cann Cottage was created by the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission in 1957 when Cann Home, part of the Methodist Children’s Homes at Magill, was divided into two Cottages. The other half of the building was named I’Anson Cottage. Each cottage accommodated approximately 12 children with a Housemother or Cottage Parents. Cann Cottage continued to operate…
St Joseph’s Sanatorium opened in Largs Bay in 1903. Run by the Sisters of St Joseph, it operated as a rest home for women and children. In 1906 it moved to a larger premises in the same suburb and cared for children from infancy to school age. In 1907, the Home changed its name to…
McBride Hospital was the new name given to the Salvation Army run McBride Maternity Hospital in 1975. Situated in Medindie it ceased to operate as a maternity hospital in 1978 and became a convalescent hospital with a small hostel for single mothers and their babies. The hostel ceased operating in 1983 and the convalescent hospital…
Methodist Children’s Homes was the new name given to the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission run Methodist Children’s Home in 1924. Between 1924 and 1957 it included Greenslade Home for girls, Roberts Home for younger boys and Cann Home for older boys. Minnie Maughan Cottage was built in 1955 and in 1957 Curtice Cottage was openeed…
Greenslade Home was the first residence to open on the Magill site of the Methodist Children’s Home in 1912. It housed up to 30 children. In 1921 when the Methodist Children’s Home opened Roberts Home, Greenslade housed girls and younger boys. When Cann Home was opened in 1924, Greenslade became a residence for girls only….
The Methodist Children’s Home opened in 1905 at Largs Bay. Run by the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission, it initially provided accommodation for 10 to 12 children. In 1911 the Home moved to site at Magill and Greenslade Home was built and opened in 1912. In 1921 a second building, Roberts Home, opened to provide accommodation…
Umeewarra Mission Home, Davenport Reserve continued the role of the Umeewarra Mission Children’s Home from 1964 after the Mission was taken over by the government and became Davenport Reserve. The Home continued to be run by former superintendent and his wife and it accommodated a small number of Aboriginal children. The local Aboriginal community council…
Louise Place was the new name given to St Joseph’s Refuge at Fullarton in 2001. It operated under the management of Centacare and provided accommodation and services for young pregnant women, new parents and their children. Louise Place was still operating in 2018.