Archives



Methodist Church in Queensland

The Methodist Church of Australasia ceased to exist in 1977 when most of its congregations joined the Presbyterian and Congregational Union of Australia Churches to form the Uniting Church in Australia. However some independent Methodist congregations in Australia continued from 1977.

Alexandra Cottage

Alexandra Cottage was a family group home situated at 50 Lorward Street, Bardon. It opened in September 1960, and was run by the Methodist Church until 1977, when the Uniting Church took over the running of the Home. Alexandra Cottage closed in 1993.

BoysTown

BoysTown, run by the De La Salle Brothers, was established in 1961. It was situated in Telemon Road, Beaudesert. BoysTown accommodated boys aged between 12 and 16 in seven cottages. The Beaudesert residential accommodation closed in 2001, and the buildings were demolished in 2017 or 2018. More than 1,000 boys passed through BoysTown during the…

De La Salle Brothers

The De La Salle Brothers is a worldwide religious teaching congregation within the Catholic Church. The De La Salle Brothers arrived in Australia in 1906 to establish Catholic schools. By 1932 a De La Salle school was established in Roma, Queensland, and in 1955 they set up a school and community in Scarborough. In 1961…

Albion Lodge

Albion Lodge was a children’s Home in Bridge Street, Albion. It was operated by the De La Salle Brothers, in conjunction with BoysTown. It housed boys who had graduated from BoysTown. Albion Lodge opened in 1965 and the first boys moved in on 24 August that year. Albion Lodge closed in 1974. Albion Lodge was…

Family Spirit

Family Spirit was created in 2018 through the merger of the Marist180 and CatholicCare Sydney adoption services. Family Spirit deals with all forms of foster care and adoption and guardianship services. Family Spirit provides access to records relating to adoptions and some former Homes run by the Catholic Church.

Turner Cottage Special School for Truants

Turner Cottage Special School for Truants was proclaimed a special school on 20 May 1938. It was located on the same site as the Mittagong Farm Home for Boys, and for a time, the school was under the administration of the Superintendent of Mittagong. When Anglewood Special School opened, boys from Turner Cottage were transferred…

Rehoboth

Rehoboth was a Home for Aboriginal girls run by the Aborigines’ Inland Mission. It was officially opened in March 1924. Elizabeth McKenzie Hatton, a white missionary (later secretary of the Australian Aborigines Progressive Association), was instrumental in the establishment of Rehoboth. According to the Encyclopedia of Women & Leadership, McKenzie Hatton’s intention for Rehoboth was:…

Sydney Female Refuge Society

The Sydney Female Refuge Society was established in 1848 with the motto ‘GO, AND SIN NO MORE’. It was established by a group of Protestant philanthropists to assist and restore women working in prostitution, as well as single pregnant women. The Society ran the Sydney Female Refuge, located in Pitt Street, Sydney and later in…

St Andrew’s Presbyterian Boys’ Hostel

St Andrew’s Presbyterian Boys’ Hostel, Dubbo, opened in 1923 as a boarding hostel that provided accommodation to boys from remote areas so they could attend high school in Dubbo. The hostel was owned by the Presbyterian Church. By 1945 the hostel had closed. St Andrew’s Presbyterian Boys’ Hostel, Dubbo, was officially opened in June 1923,…