This record contains the names of people who were committed to the Hobart and Launceston Gaols between 1919 and 1935. Access Conditions These records are open and accessible by the public. For access to these records please contact Tasmanian Archives.
Record, and Descriptions of People Admitted to the Gaol, Launceston date from 1966 to 1973. The include each inmate’s date of admission, name, sex, marital status, age, occupation, place of birth, religion, level of education, previous convictions, offence, sentence, court, judge, and date of discharge. Access Conditions These records are open and accessible by the…
The Launceston Reception Prison, run by the government, opened in 1976. It is in the Police Department buildings in Cimitiere Street which opened at the same time. The Prison is a remand centre with a capacity for up to 33 men and women. It is likely to have held inmates under the age of 18….
The Launceston Police Watch House, run by the government, replaced the Launceston Gaol in 1917. It was a place where prisoners, sometimes under the age of 18, could be held temporarily. In 1976, the functions of the Police Watch House were transferred to new police buildings. The Police Department ran the Launceston Watch House but…
The Prisons Department replaced the Gaols Department in 1959. It had oversight of the inmates of the Police Watch House in Launceston and other local prisons. The Department ran Campbell Street Gaol and its replacement, Risdon Prison. In 1983, the Prisons Department became part of the Division of Corrective Services which was located within the…
The Gaols Department replaced the HM Gaols Department in 1944. It had oversight of the inmates of the Police Watch House in Launceston and other local gaols and ran Campbell Street Gaol in Hobart. In 1959, it became the Prisons Department. Although the Gaols Department had oversight of the inmates at the Police Watch House…
The HM Gaols Department replaced the Sheriff’s Department in 1936. It had oversight of the inmates of the Police Watch House in Launceston and other local gaols and ran Campbell Street Gaol in Hobart. In 1944, it became the Gaols Department. Although the HM Gaols Department had oversight of the inmates at the Police Watch…
The Return of Prisoners in the Gaol, Launceston, Awaiting Trial with the Results of the Trial in Various Courts contains information about people imprisoned at Launceston Gaol from 1871 to 1880. Access Conditions These records are open and accessible by the public. For access to these records please contact Tasmanian Archives.
The Register of Prisoners Received into and Discharged from Gaols other than at Hobart dates from 1910 to 1937. The Register gives the name, age, birthplace, offence, sentence, and reason for discharge of each inmate. There is a gap in the records between 31 December 1917 and 1 January 1936. These registers were presumably entered…
The Registers of Prisoners Received into and Discharged from Gaol, Launceston dates from 1867 to 1910. It contains details of inmates of Launceston Gaol. Access Conditions These records are open and accessible by the public. For access to these records please contact Tasmanian Archives.