This series contains case files for children admitted to the Rockhampton Receiving Depot and St George’s Orphanage. These files were created to document the history of state children during their stay at the institution. The Case Files include admission and discharge details, information on parents, contracts for the hiring out of children, maintenance details, court…
The St George’s Orphanage, Rockhampton, was run by a Management Committee. It opened in 1917 and closed in 1922 when the children were moved to new premises at Parkhurst. The new complex was called St George’s Homes. St George’s Orphanage was licensed under the State Children Act 1911 on 26 October 1917. Mary Brookes-Ball was…
Cooinda Salvation Army Home for Boys was the new name given in 1968 to the Boys’ Home Indooroopilly. In September 1969, the name of the Home changed again, to Alkira, Salvation Army Home for Boys. Cooinda Salvation Army Home for Boys was investigated by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse in…
The Meals Book contains details of and comments on the quality, quantity, and appropriateness of meals offered for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day at the Challinor Centre, Ipswich, for a period of eight months between 1977 and 1978. Access Conditions This book is open access has been digitised by Queensland State Archives. The digitised…
The Complaints Book records details of complaints about the behaviour of residents of the Challinor Centre or sightings of residents in wrong places. Information in the Complaints Book includes date, time, complainant’s name and address, nature of complaint, area where incident or sighting occurred, immediate action taken, name of recorder, follow-up action and name of…
The Register of Restraint records reasons for restraining hospital residents of ward “C P” at the Challinor Centre Hospital. Information given includes location of ward, date, name of patient, nature of behaviour and restraint applied, instructions and signatures of member of nursing staff in charge of ward, the chief nurse and the member of the…
The Register of Discharges, Removals and Deaths contains records of discharges, removals and deaths of patients at Ipswich Special Hospital and subsequently the Challinor Centre. Details for each entry include the date of discharge, removal or death, date of last admission, number in register of patient and christian and surname at length, discharges – recovered,…
Queensland Health was previously known as the Department of Health. The name changed in 2012.
The Basil Stafford Centre was established in 1968. The Centre provided accommodation and associated care services for intellectually disabled people, including children. The Centre was originally part of the Wolston Park Special Hospital, then in 1960 a separate centre providing institutional accommodation for children was established adjacent to the Hospital. It was named the Basil…
The Registers of Patients and Admission Books, kept by the Wolston Park Hospital and later Ipswich Special Hospital then Challinor Centre Ipswich, record details of patient admissions between 1861 and 1994. Details entered in the registers vary over time but may include date of last previous admission (if any), number of register, number for the…