Towards the end of 1929, it was agreed to build a new maternity hospital on land adjacent to the Brisbane Hospital at Herston. Construction commenced on 15 January 1934. The then Minister for Health, Mr Edward (Ned) Hanlon, officially opened the new Women's Hospital on 13 March 1938. The final cost of the new hospital was £201,779. In 1966, Queen Elizabeth 2nd gave permission to use the prefix "Royal" to the Brisbane Hospital and in 1967, the Queen also approved the use of the "Royal" prefix for the Brisbane Women's Hospital.
Florence Featherstonhaugh was Matron of the Royal Women's Hospital, Brisbane, from 1938 to 1943.
31 August 2017
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00458
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License