The Department for Reformatory Schools came into being following the proclamation of the Juvenile Offenders' Act in 1887. This Act assigned responsibility for convicted juveniles to the Department for Reformatory Schools, and it assigned responsibility for 'neglected' children to the Department for Neglected Children. Despite the separation of responsibilities brought about by the 1887 Juvenile Offenders' Act, the Department for Reformatory Schools was administered by the Victorian government jointly with the Department for Neglected Children, which was renamed the Children's Welfare Department in 1924. The Children's Welfare Act 1954 (No.5817) provided for the abolition of the Department for Reformatory Schools. Thereafter, responsibility for juvenile offenders and reformatory schools (from 1954 known as juvenile schools) was assumed by the Children's Welfare Department.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
27 July 2023
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000212
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License