In the 1920s, the COS moved to new premises at Morris House, at which other Victorian charitable organisations were colocated. This heralded a time of co-operation between charities and the standardising of social work practices by the promotion of social case work.
The Society increasingly became involved in child welfare issues. One organisation also located at Morris House was the Victorian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, which benefited from access to the Central Register of help given by all relieving agencies maintained by the COS.
In the post-Depression years, the Society expanded its casework and social work services to foster care placements.
A collection of records at the State Library of Victoria relating to the Melbourne Orphanage contains case files and reports prepared by the Charity Organisation Society.
The Society moved to premises at 197 Drummond St Carlton in 1947, when it changed its name to the Citizens Welfare Service of Victoria.
06 July 2018
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000322
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License