The Methodist Children's Home opened in Victoria Park in 1922 and the Boys' Home at Werribee opened in 1929. The Boys' Home became known as 'Werribee Farm School' and then as 'Allandale'.
From the mid-1950s, the Methodist Homes for Children actively participated in housing Aboriginal children from northern WA. In the Annual Report 1954/1955 (p.4), the Director, Norman Hicks, wrote that the Commonwealth Government's policy of bringing 'selected half caste children' to the south-west to assimilate with the white population was 'wise and timely'. Methodist Homes for Children told the government that they were 'prepared to receive one in five such boys at Werribee and one girl per cottage, but not more than two per cottage at Victoria Park, of such approved selected half-caste children from Croker Island and Millingimbie or similar places'.
In 1962, after the Werribee property was closed and the land was sold, funds were used to develop more cottages in Victoria Park, where the main site (with all its cottages) became known as 'Mofflyn'.
In the1960s and '70s the Methodist Homes for Children opened hostels and scatter cottages in the Perth metropolitan area: Cooinda, Warminda, Allandale, Bourkedale, and Meribah.
After the Methodist Church merged with the Presbyterian and Congregational churches to become the Uniting Church in 1977, the Methodist Homes for Children became the Uniting Church Child and Family Care Services.
The Uniting Church Child and Family Care Services, which was part of the Uniting Church's 'caring services', eventually became known as Mofflyn Child and Family Care Services. In 2006, Mofflyn merged with other Uniting Church agencies to become UnitingCare West.
30 March 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00142
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License