Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
New South Wales - Legislation
Children's Protection Act 1902 (1902 - 1923)
- Principal Act
The Children's Protection Act 1902 (47/1902) was also known as 'An Act to consolidate the enactments providing for the protection of children in certain cases' and repealed the Children's Protection Act 1892. It amended and consolidated the law regarding 'baby-farming', or caring for multiple infants for a fee. This practice was of great social and moral concern in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Act was Amended by the Neglected Children and Juvenile Offenders' Act 1905. It was repealed by the Child Welfare Act 1923.
- 'Dept of Community Services', in State Records Authority of New South Wales website, State of New South Wales through the State Records Authority of NSW 2016, https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/agency/114. Details
- NSW legislation, Parliamentary Counsel's Office, New South Wales Government, http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/. Details
- To Remove and Protect, New South Wales: Legislation, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, https://aiatsis.gov.au/collection/featured-collections/remove-and-protect. Details
- '"The Death Roll": The Babies' Home: Condemnatory Reports: Mother's Complaint', The Sydney Morning Herald, 8 November 1911, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15287350. Details
- Blackmore, Rod, 'History of Children's Legislation in New South Wales - The Children's Court', in History of the Children's Court, Lawlink, Lawlink NSW, 2012, http://www.childrenscourt.justice.nsw.gov.au/Documents/History%20of%20Children's%20Legislation%20in%20NSW.pdf. Details
- Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf. Details
- Children's Protection Act 1902
- NSW legislation
Sources used to compile this entry: Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Liam Hogan and Naomi Parry
Created: 21 February 2011, Last modified: 10 June 2021