Carramar Adoption Agency was established in 1961, and was known by that name until 1965, when it became the Church of England Adoption Agency. In 1978 the name was again changed, to Anglican Adoption Agency. Since 1997, the service has been known as Anglicare Adoption Services.
In 1963 seventy girls entered Carramar, some so young they were still at school. The Anglican Home Mission Society considered arranging adoptions was responsible. Girls spent five to six months in the home, conducting domestic duties.
Sources used to compile this entry: Annual report of the Home Mission Society of the Diocese of Sydney, Home Mission Society (NSW), 1912-1971; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 3 March 2011, Last modified: 30 August 2013