Wesley Central Mission had its origins in the Methodist Church, which began operating in Sydney from 1812 and formed the Central Methodist Mission. In 1977, when members of the Uniting, Methodist and Presbyterian Churches formed the Uniting Church in Australia, the Central Methodist Mission was renamed the Wesley Central Mission. Wesley Mission became a major provider of welfare services and ministry in New South Wales. In 1993, it changed its name to Wesley Mission.
According to the website for Wesley Mission's 200th anniversary, in 1977 Wesley Mission set up the Wesley James Home. In 1980, responding to the needs of Vietnamese refugees, it converted the former Francis Street Men's Hostel in the Sydney CBD to a hostel for 40 orphaned Vietnamese boys. In 1984 it set up Barnett Cottage at Mt Druitt as an emergency service for children and Freeman Cottage at Abbotsford opened as a family group home.
Sources used to compile this entry: Wesley Mission 200 Years Pioneering Care: Celebrating the bicentenary of Methodism in Australia, Wesley Mission, 2012, https://web.archive.org/web/20140719125406/http://www.wesleymission.org.au/200years/history.asp; About Wesley Mission, Sydney - The Church with Three Names, Wesley Mission, Sydney, https://web.archive.org/web/20120326060654/http://www.wesleymission.org.au/About/Our_History/church_with_three_names.asp.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 1 November 2017