The Aborigines Protection Association was set up in 1881 to both control Aboriginal people and 'protect' them from the effects of white society. It was inspired by Christian missionary work conducted by Daniel Matthews at Maloga and Reverend J.B. Gribble at Warangesda and later expanded to include Brewarrina. In 1897 it was wound up and its properties were absorbed by the Aborigines Protection Board.
The Society was headed by Dr Arthur Renwick, of the Benevolent Society and State Children's Relief Board and had the support of Premier Henry Parkes, but depended on private donations for survival. In 1883 the government established a separate organisation, the Aborigines Protection Board, which included MPs and the Police Commissioner, and was given power over lands reserved for Aboriginal people and the right to provide government aid.
The Aborigines Protection Association clashed with the Protection Board and struggled to fund its operations. By 1897 it had collapsed and its books, money and properties were transferred to the Protection Board. Its legacy was the stations, and the Warangesda Dormitory.
Sources used to compile this entry: Parry, Naomi, 'Such a longing': black and white children in welfare in New South Wales and Tasmania, 1880-1940, Department of History, University of New South Wales, 2007, 361 pp, http://unsworks.unsw.edu.au/fapi/datastream/unsworks:1369/SOURCE01?view=true.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 15 March 2012, Last modified: 30 May 2014