The Prince of Wales Hospital was established in 1953 as an annex of Sydney Hospital and is on the Randwick Campus of the South Eastern Sydney and Illawarra Health Service. This campus includes Sydney Children's Hospital and the Royal Hospital for Women. The Prince of Wales Hospital holds records of a number of maternity hospitals in Sydney, as well as records of all the hospitals on the Randwick campus. It is entered from Barker Street, Randwick.
The Prince of Wales Hospital has a long history. It was initially part of the Randwick Asylum for Destitute Children, which was established on its current High Street Randwick site in 1858. In 1915, when the Randwick Asylum closed, the site was used as a military hospital, called the Fourth Australian Repatriation Hospital. This closed in 1953 and the hospital was renamed Prince of Wales Hospital. It became Prince of Wales Children's Hospital in 1976. In 2012 it is a major teaching hospital, specialising in the care of adults.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 20 March 2012, Last modified: 8 October 2018