The Lady Edeline Hospital for Sick Babies was a government children's hospital at Nielsen Park, in Vaucluse, in an historic house called 'Greycliffe'. It began in 1914. It had 40 cots and was intended as a hospital to nurse babies who were sick with gastroenteritis, which was common in Sydney summer. It closed in 1936 and the building was taken over by Tresillian.
Lady Edeline Hospital for Sick Babies was named after Lady Edeline Strickland, the wife of the New South Wales Governor.
'Greycliffe' was originally built by W.C. Wentworth, for his daughter. It had been left to the New South Wales Government, which consented to its use as a hospital in 1913. Its position, on three acres and fronting a beach, was considered perfect for restoring the health of babies, particularly as it could grow its own food.
Vaucluse House, the sea and Greycliffe House are rumoured to be linked by tunnels.
In 1936 the Lady Edeline Hospital for Babies closed. Greycliffe was then used by Tresillian Homes as a Mothercraft Nursing Home until 1968.
In 1968 the Government resumed control of Greycliffe House and since then it has been owned and managed by Parks and Wildlife as part of the Nielsen Park reserve.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'For the sick babies', The Sydney Morning Herald, 19 November 1913, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15466865; Greycliffe Children's Hospital was for sick children. Many babies were admitted with gastroenteritis - Greycliffe Children's Hospital, NSW [Image], Date: c. 1914 - c. 1935 Creator: Balmer, Mable; Greycliffe Hospital was in a home built for the daughter of W C Wentworth, opposite Vaucluse House. There was a tunnel from Vaucluse House to Greycliffe which the nurses occasionally used - Greycliffe Children's Hospital, NSW [Image], Date: c. 1914 - c. 1936 Creator: Balmer, Mable.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 21 September 2012, Last modified: 27 August 2013