The office of the Director of State Psychiatric Services was the New South Wales government agency that supervised psychiatric institutions from 1958 until 1973. Its powers were transferred to the Health Commission in 1972 (later the Health Department).
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Director of State Psychiatric Services', in State Records Authority of New South Wales website, State of New South Wales through the State Records Authority of NSW 2016, https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/agency/60; 'Mental Health Facilities Guide', in Museums of History NSW website, Museums of History NSW, https://mhnsw.au/guides/mental-health-facilities-guide/.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 29 March 2013, Last modified: 30 August 2013