The New South Wales Society for Crippled Children was a charitable organisation that was founded by Rotary in 1929 to support children who suffered polio and tuberculosis. It ran the Margaret Reid Home and the Beverley Park Estate, as well as special schools and other residential facilities. The author May Gibbs gave a large part of her estate to this society. In 1995 the Society changed its name to Northcott Disability Services, which has been known simply as Northcott since 2012.
The New South Wales Society for Crippled Children purchased Cleveland House in 1958 from the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary who had used Cleveland House as a convent since 1946, having acquired it from the Good Samaritans. The Society for Crippled Children used Cleveland House and the four-storeyed building that had been the St Magdalen's Refuge as a hospital, clinic and administrative quarters. They sold the property in 1988.
The New South Wales Society for Crippled Children conducted a special school at Parramatta. In 2013 the Society, known as Northcott, was based in Parramatta.
1929 - 1995 New South Wales Society for Crippled Children
1995 - Northcott
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Cleveland House', in State Heritage Register, NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, 1999-, http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=5045140; 'Our History', in Northcott, http://web.archive.org/web/20160304071209/https://www.northcott.com.au/our-history.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 26 July 2013, Last modified: 30 August 2013