The Methodist Department of Social Services was the social welfare arm of the Methodist Church. Its work evolved from the Methodist Missions at Leichhardt, Paddington, Balmain and the Central Methodist Mission. It ran Iandra at Grenfell and Heighway House at Drummoyne and Thornleigh.
According to Reverend Harry Herbert, the Methodist Church's first Director of Social Services was Reverend Bill Hobbin, who had campaigned around the issue of slum housing in Bellevue Hill.
c. 1943 - 1965 Methodist Department of Social Services
1965 - 1977 Methodist Department of Christian Citizenship
1977 - Uniting Church Board of Social Responsibility
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 12 August 2013, Last modified: 18 September 2013