The Junior Red Cross Society was formally established in Australia in 1918, as part of the Australian Red Cross. It was a children's and youth division, which had regional committees. Various branches of the Junior Red Cross Society set up and ran Cudgelo Junior Red Cross Home (1923 - 1951), Juong Red Cross Home (1925 - 1945), Shuna Red Cross Home (1925 - 1950), Kippilaw (1945 - 1950), Glen Mervyn Junior Red Cross Home (1974 - 1980s), Eleanor MacKinnon Memorial Junior Red Cross Home (1938 - 1951), Wongala Junior Red Cross Home (1947 to about 1977), Eleanor MacKinnon Memorial Home (1951 to about 1980) and Berida Junior Red Cross Home (1951 - 1974).
The Jerilderie Herald and Urana Advertiser, 1951, reported that the Junior Red Cross Homes were maintained primarily for children of ex-servicemen, however other sick and needy children and new Australians between the ages of four and fourteen were cared for in the Homes. The average length of stay was six weeks.
It is unclear when the Junior Red Cross Society ceased to exist. Management of the records relating to Homes associated with the Junior Red Cross Society has passed to the parent body, the Australian Red Cross.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Junior Fun - "Cudgelo" Seaside Home - The House that the Children Built…', The Sydney Morning Herald, 25 January 1934, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17042876; 'New J.R.C. Children's Home', Jerilderie Herald and Urana Advertiser (NSW), 3 May 1951, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article134737165; 'History: a timeline of Australian Red Cross', Australian Red Cross, 2014, https://www.redcross.org.au/about/history-and-heritage/timeline/.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 19 May 2014, Last modified: 11 April 2016