The Brisbane Women's Hospital was situated at Herston and was opened on 13 March 1938. Operating as a maternity hospital, it replaced the Lady Bowen Hospital, Wickham Terrace, Brisbane. In 1967 it was renamed the Royal Brisbane Women's Hospital.
Towards the end of 1929, it was agreed to build a new maternity hospital on land adjacent to the Brisbane Hospital at Herston. Construction commenced on 15 January 1934. The then Minister for Health, Mr Edward (Ned) Hanlon, officially opened the new Women's Hospital on 13 March 1938. The final cost of the new hospital was £201,779. In 1966, Queen Elizabeth 2nd gave permission to use the prefix "Royal" to the Brisbane Hospital and in 1967, the Queen also approved the use of the "Royal" prefix for the Brisbane Women's Hospital.
Florence Featherstonhaugh was Matron of the Royal Women's Hospital, Brisbane, from 1938 to 1943.
Sources used to compile this entry: Foster, Frank M C, 'Allan, Robert Marshall (1886-1946)', in Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, 2012, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/allan-robert-marshall-4997/text8305; Patrick, Ross, The Royal Women's Hospital, Brisbane : the first fifty years, Boolarong Publications, Brisbane, 1988, 186 pp.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 24 August 2012, Last modified: 5 November 2014