The Walter T Robertson Red Cross Convalescent Home, in Toowoomba, opened in February 1943. It was run by the Red Cross Society (Queensland Division), and was the second Red Cross convalescent home in Queensland (the first was the Lady Wilson Home in Chelmer, Brisbane). The Robertson Home could house 24 people. Children were sometimes accommodated temporarily at this Home.
In 1945, the Red Cross Society invited applications from former prisoners of war to care for their children while they holidayed with their wives. The Red Cross offered free board at its Margate Home, and the WT Robertson Convalescent Home in Toowoomba, and stated that 'all care would be taken with the children'. However, the Society 'would not accept responsibility for sickness or injury'.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Red Cross Home opened in Toowoomba', Cairns Post, 8 February 1943, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article42377471; 'Red Cross Home opening today', Courier Mail, 6 February 1943, p. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article42049706; 'Red Cross child care plan begun', Courier Mail, 30 October 1945, p. 6, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article50279063.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 28 November 2014, Last modified: 7 November 2017