The Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) was the new name given to the Adelaide Hospital in 1939. It was located on North Terrace in Adelaide and was run by a board of management. From 1941 Northcote Home operated in conjunction with the RAH. From 1948 the Royal Adelaide Hospital ran the Northfield Wards of the Royal Adelaide Hospital and in 1973 took over the management of the Morris Hospital. The Royal Adelaide Hospital was still operating in 2014.
The Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) was the new name given to the Adelaide Hospital in 1939. The hospital was run by a board of management. It was situated on North Terrace in Adelaide. Building programs that had begun in the late 1850s continued at the site for 100 years and during that time nearly 50 buildings were added to the hospital. The roles of the various buildings changed frequently over the years.
From 1941 the Royal Adelaide Hospital worked in conjunction with Northcote Home. Children of parents who were admitted to the RAH suffering from tuberculosis were sent to Northcote.
The Royal Adelaide Hospital took over the running of the Northfield Infectious Diseases Hospital from the James Brown Memorial Trust in 1948 renaming the institution the Northfield Wards of the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
A major rebuilding program at the North Terrace site began in 1963 and continued until 1973. In that same year the hospital took over the management of the Morris Hospital.
The Royal Adelaide Hospital was still operating in 2014.
1841 - 1939 Adelaide Hospital
1939 - Royal Adelaide Hospital
Sources used to compile this entry: State Records of South Australia, 'Agency Details: GA354 Adelaide Hospital, later Royal Adelaide Hospital', in State Records of South Australia, ArchivesSearch, http://archives.sa.gov.au.
Prepared by: Gary George and Karen George
Created: 20 November 2012, Last modified: 24 June 2014