The Northfield Consumptive Home was opened in 1931 at Northfield to replace the Adelaide Hospital's Consumptive Home on North Terrace. The Northfield Consumptive Home provided treatment to patients with advanced tuberculosis and cancer. These patients may have included children. It had beds for 112 patients. In 1936 the Northfield Consumptive Home was re-named the Morris Hospital.
The Northfield Consumptive Home was opened on 10 November 1931 to provide treatment to patients with advanced tuberculosis and cancer. It was built to replace the Adelaide Hospital's Consumptive Home on North Terrace that was described by the Premier of South Australia in 1929 as "a disgrace to Adelaide".
The Northfield Consumptive Home was built on a portion of land formerly known as 'Conrad's Estate' at Northfield, adjacent to the Northfield Infectious Diseases Hospital and near the Northfield Mental Hospital. It comprised an administrative block, a nurses' block, three consumptive wards for 86 patients, and a cancer ward for 26 patients. Patients at the Home may have included children. In 1936, the Northfield Consumptive Home was re-named the Morris Hospital in honour of the late Dr B. H. Morris, Inspector General of Hospitals.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Consumptive Home To Be Shifted To Northfield', The Register News-Pictorial (Adelaide, South Australia), 19 April 1929, p. 2, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article53474603; State Records of South Australia, 'Agency Details: GA2416 Northfield Consumptive Home, later Morris Hospital', in State Records of South Australia, ArchivesSearch, http://archives.sa.gov.au.
Prepared by: Gary George and Karen George
Created: 20 November 2012, Last modified: 11 June 2014