This image shows the South Australian Institution for the Blind and Deaf and Dumb. The library description states: South Australian Institution for the Blind and Deaf and Dumb known as Townsend House from 1946 is situated on the shore at Brighton. William Townsend proposed an institution for the blind, deaf and dumb and worked for many years for its establishment in the suburb of Brighton and was Chairman of its committee in 1875-82. This photograph has been taken at the rear of the premises and shows the gardens stretching onto the sand dunes. The house is a towering Victorian Gothic style two storey building.
State Library of South Australia Archival Number: B 11623