An Inspector was appointed to the Neglected Children's Department for the first time in 1915. The Inspector visited the homes of children placed out as apprentices in rural areas. In the 1920s, inspecting nurses began visiting rural areas in conjunction with the Inspectors.
Sources used to compile this entry: Evans, Caroline, Protecting the Innocent: Tasmania's Neglected Children, Their Parents and State Care, 1890-1918, University of Tasmania, Hobart, 1999, 251 pp, http://eprints.utas.edu.au/14453/.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 21 October 2011, Last modified: 5 March 2015