The Child Health Association succeeded the Child Welfare Association in 1956. In 2012, the Association continues to support the government's family, child, and youth health services.
In the 1970s, the Division of Public Health employed 53 sisters who worked closely with the Child Health Association. The sisters visited mothers in maternity and children's wards to provide information. They made follow-up home visits to new babies and sick children. They also went to the homes of babies whose mothers who did not attend the clinic.
There were 100 static and 12 visiting clinics throughout the state.
1917 - 1956 Child Welfare Association
1956 - Child Health Association
Sources used to compile this entry: Spargo, S, A brief history of the Child Health Association (formerly the Child Welfare Association) in Tasmania, 1917-1977, Child Health Association, Hobart, 1977, 24 pp; Waters, Jill, 'Child Welfare Association', in The Companion to Tasmanian History, 2005, http://www.utas.edu.au/library/companion_to_tasmanian_history/C/Child%20Welfare%20Association.htm.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 16 February 2012, Last modified: 2 September 2014