The Civil Service Board of Tasmania was established in 1900 by the Civil Service Act. Its establishment was the first Tasmanian attempt to provide a uniform system of administration. In 1905, the Public Service Board replaced it.
The Civil Service Board was part time. Public Servants elected it. The Board included one member each from the Railway and Education Departments and three from the other departments.
In 1905, a Royal Commission found that self-government by public servants did not work. It recommended the establishment of an expert Public Service Board that was more or less independent from the government.
Sources used to compile this entry: Wettenhall, RL, A Guide to Tasmanian Government Administration, Platypus Publications, Hobart, 1968, 206 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 21 March 2012, Last modified: 17 March 2014