The Children's Protection Society (CPS) was established in 1971. Previously, it was known as the Victorian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (founded in 1896). The Children's Protection Society operated the following emergency shelter Homes: Robin House in Fitzroy, Swan House in Traralgon, Currawong House in Hamilton and Alys Keys House in Heidelberg. In 2018 Children's Protection Society changed its name to Kids First Australia.
CPS Officers (and the police) were the only people authorised under the Community Welfare Act 1970 to deal with child maltreatment cases. The society's aim in the first instance was to prevent abuse and neglect by providing support for 'at risk' children and their parents. If these preventative steps did not work then the courts were involved.
CPS was funded by the Victorian government to investigate reports of child abuse across the metropolitan area. On 1 October 1985 the responsibility was handed back to the government.
1896 - 1971 Victorian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
1971 - 2018 Children's Protection Society
2018 - Kids First Australia
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf; Swain, Shurlee, 'Children's Protection Society', in eMelbourne: the city past and present, Encyclopedia of Melbourne online, The University of Melbourne, 2008, http://www.emelbourne.net.au/biogs/EM00337b.htm; Email and attachment from Arieta Lumani (Records Officer, Department of Health & Human Services), dated 28 September 2015, held in the project files at the University of Melbourne eScholarship Research Centre.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 February 2009, Last modified: 11 December 2018