The Carry On Club of Victoria was established in 1932 to provide welfare assistance to the ex-service community. It was founded by William Hawkins. Carry On operated a Home in Brighton named Hurlingham, and a family group Home in Mitcham. Carry On assists Australian and Allied ex-servicemen and women in need who have served or been injured in the service. Carry On also assists with their dependants including help with secondary and tertiary education expenses.
In 1946 'Hurlingham' at Brighton was established by the Carry On Club of Victoria to accommodate up to 18 under privileged boys aged from 10 to 16 years who were sons of ex-service men and women. This included children who were wards of the state. An application was made in 1955 to have the Home declared an approved children's Home.
In 1963 Hurlingham was closed when Carry On Victoria reviewed its residential care policies and instead established accommodation for girls and boys in smaller Home units.
In 1964 the Carry on Club purchased a property in Mitcham for use as a family group Home where short-term care was provided for the children of ex-service men and women. The group Home accommodated boys and girls aged between 4 and 13 years.
Carry On closed the Home in 1970 in response to the gradual drop in the number of referrals and wards who would fit the Home's intake criteria.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 12 June 2009, Last modified: 10 March 2014