The Presbyterian Sisterhood began in Warrnambool. It was established by the Rev. Donald A. Cameron, who was Director of Home Missions within the Presbyterian Church of Victoria. The Sisterhood was conducted under the auspices of the Presbyterian Church, managed by a non-denominational committee. In 1908, Cameron stated that the Sisterhood was entirely maintained by subscribers in Warrnambool and the Western District. The Sisterhood ran a shelter for women and their children in Warrnambool. In 1909, the Sisterhood moved to Melbourne, where it ran a maternity home in North Fitzroy from 1909 to around 1978.
Sources used to compile this entry: Friends of the friendless: preservation of infant life, The Argus, 11 January 1908, 17 pp, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/10660806; Presbyterian Assembly, The Argus, 6 May 1926, 14 pp, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3780051; Work for the needy, The Argus, 5 April 1952, 8 pp, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article23172663; 'Submission 151', in Commonwealth Contribution to Former Forced Adoption Policies and Practices: submissions received by the Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, 2011, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2010-13/commcontribformerforcedadoption/submissions; UnitingCare Victoria and Tasmania, 'Submission to the Australian Senate Community Affairs References Committee Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care 29 July 2003 (submission 52)', in Inquiry into Institutional Care: Submissions received as at 17/03/05, Commonwealth of Australia, 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 March 2010, Last modified: 4 August 2014