The Metropolitan Infectious Diseases began 1938 in Subiaco (later known as Shenton Park). It was previously the Victoria Hospital for Infectious Diseases. The Hospital offered rehabilitation for patients with polio and paraplegia. From 1956 it was known as the Shenton Park Annexe.
After 1938 the focus of the Metropolitan Infectious Diseases Hospital encompassed the rehabilitation of patients with polio and paraplegia. From 1956 it was known as the 'Shenton Park Annexe' and then the Royal Perth Rehabilitation Hospital in 1966.
1893 - 1938 Victoria Hospital for Infectious Diseases
1938 - 1956 Metropolitan Infectious Diseases Hospital
Sources used to compile this entry: Infectious Diseases Hospital, Subiaco, February 1938 [Image]; Rogers, Lauren, 'Royal Perth Rehabilitation Hospital', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009, p. 784.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 4 September 2013, Last modified: 21 October 2020